Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gregorian Scrabbler

It's such a pretty day outside - and a Scrabble tourney is so close....

(please, by the way, register for Battle Creek, everyone! I know, I know, it's a one-day, but Carol's tournaments are so cool....and Idon'twannabefirstseedinadivision!!!!!!!!)

/end rant

...that I thought I'd share a wonderful creation of mine. This creation, while not particularly up for any Song of the Year awards or anything (pity, that) promises to instill a certain set of Scrabble words into the minds of all who choose to learn it. I've not yet found a tune for it, so it's not quite a song....more like a chant. Thought I'd share nonetheless. I call it "The Vowel Dump Song" :

AEON, AGIO, AKEE, ALEE
AMIE AMIA ANOA ASEA and AWEE
EIDE - EMEU - ILEA - MEOU!

NAOI, OBIA, ODEA, OGEE in OHIA
(the state in which you do not want to die-a)
OUZO, RAIA, TOEA, UVEA
(these are tiles you do not want to see-a)
AALII, AECIA, AERIE, AIOLI
(too many vowel dumps, if you ask me)
AREAE, AUREI, OIDIA, OORIE, URAEI!
(we're done with vowels too soon - oh my!)



Weirdly enough, this song and its accompanying rhymes for some of the lines have put many of the vowel dumps in my head. It's kinda neat to know more ways to get rid of weird tiles!

Dan at the Rocky River Club taught me that the LATRINE stem takes any consonant or vowel in the phrase MOVING FUNNY SPICES. I always remember that KA takes any consonant in BETSY'S FEET to form a 3-letter word.

Anyone have any other cool ways to remember sets of words?! I love mnemonics!

2 comments:

George V. said...

My favorite is SKIABLE, which takes any of the letters in "NOT ON ANY ICY HILLS." The words it makes are really fun but you'll never play any of them.

And Here is the motherload.

Heather said...

Holy crap! :-O

so...here's the question, George: being the awesome player that you are, how many of these do you know?!

(answer: probably a far higher number than I could ever aspire to!)